Transit Day at the Statehouse 2017
Transit Day at the Statehouse is Tuesday, February 21. This is the one day during the Indiana General Assembly session dedicated entirely to transit education and advocacy. Constituents from across the state, including riders, community partners, and transit providers, meet with their state elected officials to share information and build support for sustainable and dedicated transit funding.
Even though Transit Day yields many benefits, the core purpose of Transit Day is to build and strengthen relationships with state legislators and communicate why transit is important to the communities in their districts.
Please invite your State Senator and Representative to meet with you at the event. You can find your legislators’ contact information here. Ask if they can attend to meet with you for the entire event or part of it. They can also send a legislative aid or you can request a private appointment during or after the event.
Contact Kim if you need assistance inviting your elected officials to the event or setting up a private appointment.
Tuesday, February 21, 2017 – Event Schedule:
10:00 a.m. – Assemble at the Statehouse
10:30 a.m. – Advocacy overview
11:15 a.m. – Program and media event
12:00 p.m. – Lunch and begin meetings with legislators
Remember that you are responsible for inviting your legislators to the event or scheduling a private appointment. Their contact information can be found here.
‘Outstanding Transit Advocate’ awards:
ICAT continues this year to honor advocates and partners who work to better transit across the state with its ‘Outstanding Transit Advocate’ awards in three categories: Elected official(s), Community Organization and Individual Advocate. Please submit your nominations here by Tuesday, February 7.
Past award recipients include:
- Jerry Torr, Indiana State House Representative (elected official)
- Patricia Miller, Indiana State Senator (elected official)
- Christine Altman, Hamilton County Commissioner (elected official)
- Becky Allen, Access Johnson County and Indiana Council on Specialized Transportation (community organization)
- AARP Indiana (community organization)
- Fred Lanahan, Fort Wayne Citilink and Indiana Passenger Rail Alliance board member (individual advocate)
- Roger Hollands, Anderson-Muncie Public Transportation Coalition (individual advocate)
- Kent McDaniel, Indiana Transportation Association (special lifetime achievement award)
See pictures from previous Transit Days on our Facebook page.